Proper maintenance of an old car will save you from having to buy a new car sooner than necessary. A well-maintained old car can even outlive a newer car that isn’t cared for properly. Following the recommendations of the car manufacturer also helps to prolong a vehicle’s useful years. Apart from general maintenance, applying a rustproofing car product can prevent rust and corrosion from shortening the life of your car.
Read the owner’s manual
Reading the owner’s manual will inform you about how to properly take care of your car. If you don’t read the manual, you could end up making mistakes that can cause damage, such as putting the wrong oil in the engine. Your car’s warning lights mean nothing if you don’t know what they mean. For example, a service engine light means that a service is due and a coolant warning light tells you the internal engine temperature is over the limit. If you ignore the warning lights and continue to drive, you risk damage to your car.
Perform regular maintenance
Quite often, it’s the little things, like regularly checking brakes, fluid level, lights, tire pressure, etc. that make a big difference over time.
- Change your oil and oil filter on a regular basis. Check the owner’s manual to verify how often you need to change the oil.
- Keep all fluids topped up.
- Replace your spark plugs and coolant.
- Check your battery and look for any signs of burning, dangling wires, or rust.
- Check your brake fluid. If the fluid is black or contains floating pieces of rubber, it’s time to replace it.
- Rotate your tires. The owner’s manual will tell you when you should rotate and align your tires. This procedure is fairly inexpensive and will maintain your fuel economy.
- Check your tire pressure and spare tire pressure once a month.
- Check the tread depth on your tires and replace tires that are badly worn.
Apply for rust protection
Car rust protection services can help to prolong the life of your car. Rust prevention is necessary because rust compromises the integrity of metal and it affects metal cables and wires. If a used car is frequently exposed to the elements, it is vital to prevent rust and corrosion.
Do some maintenance yourself
Some car maintenance is easy enough to do yourself.
- Change worn wipers.
- Vacuum the interior and use a suitable cleaner on seats etc.
- Maintain proper tire inflation with a handle gauge you keep in your glove box and don’t forget to check the pressure in the spare tire too. You should check your tires every month and your owner’s manual will tell you the appropriate pressure for your tires.
- Check all lights and replace any burnt-out ones.
Schedule a tune-up
Your car may need a tune-up if it is becoming sluggish. This may involve replacing or cleaning spark plugs, the fuel filter, ignition wires, PCV valves, the fuel injection system, distributor system, or throttle body. What needs to be replaced will depend on the type of car you drive.
Noxudol USA offers spray undercoating that is used by many car manufacturers and car owners to rust-proof cars. More than twenty years of experience have resulted in this advanced undercoating that offers long-term protection because it deeply penetrates the underbody components of the car. Taking your car to a professional applicator will ensure that the product is applied evenly. You can find your nearest application centers on our website, where certified experts have the necessary expertise.